We aim to offer a wide range of events and activities throughout the year, with at least one event every month. We produce a newsletter every month with news and details of events.
Our activities include;
• Guest speakers and film screenings to raise awareness of the plight of Tibet and to increase understanding of Tibetan religion, medicine and culture.
• Fundraising is an ongoing and vital part of the work of our group. Each year we aim, and usually succeed, in raising over £2,000 for Tibetan organisations and charities. Our main fundraising is by our stall which is present at the majority of our events. We sell a very wide range of Tibetan handicrafts and goods from several sources including merchandise on behalf of Free Tibet and Tibet Relief Fund. Sales from the stall enable us to make donations to Tibetan charities as well as purchase more goods directly from the Tibetan refugees we are aiming to support. We cover stall fees and other costs such as room hire by specific donations so that all funds raised on the stall go directly to support Tibetan projects and organisations.
• Campaigning is another part of our support work. We pass on information to members from Free Tibet and other Tibet campaign groups / organisations. We join in with hundreds of other people in the annual commemoration of the Tibetan uprising on March 10th each year held in London. Letter campaigns are a feature of our campaign work and guidelines are offered for those needing samples to view.
• Visits to places of interest, such as Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist monastery in Scotland. We also organise summer and winter weekend retreats with Lama Lhakpa Yeshe.
• Sponsorship scheme which enables TSGY members to have a very meaningful connection with an individual Tibetan person in Rewalsar in Northern India.
• Library; we have a small but expanding library which comprises a variety of books including novels, biographies, travel books, teachings of the Dalai Lama plus other books on Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism as well as some DVDs. All these are available to borrow. We take some of our library to events, contact us for a full list of items available.
Evelyn Quek giving a talk on Tibetan Medicine at TSGY
Our information stand
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.